Build on flood-prone land

Some areas of Darebin are designated as flood-prone. In these cases, you may need a flooding application before your building permit can continue.

If you're unsure whether a property is located on flood-prone land, the first step is to check via a property information certificate 51 (2). This document provides a statement of whether the property is subject to termites, within a bushfire area, in an alpine area, within designated land, or subject to flooding.

51 (2) property certificates are available through our online portal below. Please note you must be logged in, and a registered user to order.

Visit our eServices portal for 51 (2) property certificates

Once you have this information then you may then decide to lodge an application for a flood report and consent.

Before you lodge your flooding application, please speak to the building surveyor you engaged for building permit, as exemptions may apply.

What does flood-prone mean?

Flood-prone means there's a 1 per cent probability that the land will flood, or in other words, a one-in-100-year flood event.

To find out if your land is subject to flooding from our drainage systems, please call us on 03 8470 8899 or email

How to apply for a flood report and consent

If your property is deemed to be flood-prone then under regulation 153 of the Building Regulations 2018, we may issue consent to build over the flood-prone area. You can apply online.

You'll need:

  • Details of the relevant building surveyor for the building permit
  • Current copy of title
  • Land survey plan showing site levels to Australian Height Datum (AHD)
  • Floor plans and elevations showing levels to AHD
  • Melbourne Water flood level referral or a flood certificate

Apply for a flood report and consent

More information

Phone: 03 8470 8899