Apply to share fencing costs

You're responsible for maintaining your fences. If you share a fence, you should talk to your neighbour about sharing fencing costs.

Who owns my neighbouring property?

If you need to find out who owns the property you share a fence with, please complete a Request for Information - fencing form with:

  • your details
  • why you need the information
  • a copy of your ID (driver's licence, rates notice or birth certificate).

You can submit the request:

  • via email
  • via post
  • in person at a customer service centre

If your application is successful, we'll get back to you within seven business days.

I share a fence with Council land

We'll contribute to the cost of building, repairing or replacing your dividing fence if you share it with:

  • Council offices and customer service centres
  • Council-owned residential properties
  • Council works depot
  • Council-run pre-schools and maternal and child health centres

How much we will contribute?

We'll usually contribute half the reasonable cost of a 1.65-metre timber paling fence, unless you need a higher fencing standard to meet our needs.

You may ask to use an alternate material, such as pre-painted steel posts and sheeting. We'll consider requests on a case-by-case basis, but you'll need to pay any additional costs for alternate fencing material.

When will we not contribute to costs?

We don't occupy land that's open to the public at all times. This means we won't contribute to fencing costs for properties including:

  • drainage reserves
  • municipal and recreational reserves
  • municipal car parks
  • playgrounds
  • roads and right-of-ways
  • tree and plantation reserves
  • walkways.

Pensioners exemptions

If you're eligible for a Municipal Rates Concession, we'll pay half the reasonable cost of fencing work if that fence is:

  • part of the home where you live
  • shared with an open public reserve (not a road or a right-of-way).

Check your title for building requirements

Before you apply, you should check your title to make sure there are no building requirements on your property.

How to apply

1. Get a quote and a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS)

You should get several quotes from fencing contractors and pick your favourite.

Quotes should include:

2. Complete an application form

Download and complete a request for ownership details form.

What happens next?

  • If we approve your application, we'll issue a purchase order to your fencing contractor to cover our share of the cost. Please allow up to 10 business days.
  • When the work is complete, you should pay only your share of the cost. The fencing contractor will invoice us for our share of the cost.

More information

Building Department
Phone: 03 8470 8899