Find out more about what your responsibilities are around fences, boundaries and problem solving with neighbours.

Any dilapidated or unsound common/dividing fence between properties that bounds and forms part of a swimming pool or spa is also considered an immediate danger that must be reported.

Local Laws Officers are not able to resolve disputes between neighbours over matters such as boundary fences and overhanging trees/shrubs are 'civil' matters which should be dealt with privately.

To assist with the satisfactory resolution of such disputes the Victorian Dispute Settlement Centre offers a free advisory and mediation service for many neighbourhood disputes.

Dispute Settlement Centre
Phone: 03 9948 8628

Fencing disputes are a civil matter between you and your neighbours. The Magistrates' Court deals with disputes under the Fences Act 1968 concerning both the repair of existing fences and the construction of new fences.

Further information

Customer Service
Phone: (03) 8470 8888