Asset protection

Asset protection involves the protection of council assets from potential damage during building works.

What is asset protection?

Asset protection involves the protection of council assets from potential damage during building works. This includes on:

  • pathways, kerbs and roads
  • vehicle crossings
  • nature strips, and trees
  • drainage.

It is our responsibility to keep these areas safe for everyone to use.

If you are planning a building project at your property then you may be required to pay a fee or bond to cover the risk of damage to the City of Darebin's assets while your project is underway.

How do I know if I need asset protection?

If your project requires a building permit, including demolition, then you will need asset protection.

A private building surveyor needs to be engaged on any project that requires a building permit. Read about the role of the private building surveyor.

Don't know if you need a building permit? The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) an information sheet on when a building permit is required.

How do I get an asset protection permit?

When you engage your private building surveyor they notify council and this creates a trigger for the asset protection process. Council will now issue out the Asset Protection Pack and arrange for an inspection of the site.

As the owner of the property it is up to you to communicate with both your builder and private building surveyor to ensure that the required asset protection permit (along with the building permit) is in place before any works commence on-site. If works start without there being an Asset Protection Permit in place then a fine may be issued.

There are several steps involved in asset protection.

1. Notification of building works

A notice of engagement, known as a Section 80, is lodged with council by your Private Building Surveyor – this notifies council that they have been engaged to work on your project.

2. Asset protection pack issued

An asset protection pack is issued to the owner and includes the following documents:

  • Application form – complete and return with current contact numbers, and any changes of address
  • Asset protection permit conditions – conditions that you must meet in order to have your bond refunded
  • Request of final inspection – hold this document until the project is complete, it will be used to have your bond refunded
  • Invoice which confirms the fee for asset protection and the bond amount that council will hold while the works are underway. This must be paid 7 days prior to the commencement of any works to allow us time to complete our inspection.

The asset protection pack is posted to you, please let the Building Department if you would prefer it to be emailed.

3. First inspection

One of our inspectors will complete a first inspection and record the condition of council assets. This must be completed before any work starts on-site and does not require you, your builder or building surveyor to be on-site.

4. Pay fees and bond

Once the fee and bond are paid and you have waited 7 days for the inspection to be completed, the asset protection permit becomes active. Works can commence on-site, provided you also have a building permit.

The amount to be paid will vary, depending on the scope and budget of the works being completed.

When the fee and bond are paid, the asset protection permit is now active - we don’t send you anything else.

5. Request final inspection

Once your project is complete and you have an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection, you can now request a final inspection so that we can arrange your asset bond refund. Read more about the final inspection process.

If you need assistance please contact us.

More information

Building Department
Phone: 03 8470 8899