Pet permits

dog in park

Learn about pet permit types and what animals you can keep as pets.

There are restrictions on the number of animals you can keep on your premises. You may require a permit depending on the number of animals you have, and if the animal is to reside in a premises with no backyard.

When is a pet permit required?

You will require a council permit if you wish to keep more than:

  • 2 cats
  • 2 dogs
  • 5 poultry (excluding roosters)
  • 5 mice, rats, ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters
  • 10 birds (including budgerigars, canaries, finches and pigeons)

Which animals are not permitted?

  • roosters
  • horses, donkeys
  • cattle, sheep, goats, pigs
  • any other animals not listed above

How to apply

  1. Complete the Pet permit form and seek written approval from your neighbours
  2. Supply proof of your current licence or pet registration.
  3. Return the form with your fee payment ($58.00) by mail or in-person at any Darebin Customer Service Centre.

Mail to:

Darebin City Council
PO Box 91
Preston VIC 3072

Domestic animal business permits

Permits are also required for businesses who keep animals on their premises (pet shops, breeders, animal shelters, animal pounds). Complete the Domestic animal business permit form(PDF, 573KB) . Keeping any animals which have not been mentioned directly here must be done in accordance with any laws and with permission of Council.

Domestic animal businesses must also comply with the Victorian Code of Conduct - see the Agriculture Victoria website for more information.