Heritage and permits
Find heritage information
Have you found out your property is heritage-listed or within a Heritage Overlay?
For more information about the Victorian Heritage Database or Victorian Heritage Register, please visit the Heritage Victoria website.
Can I get a planning permit exemption?
If you want to undertake minor works, an incorporated plan may exempt you from needing a planning permit under a heritage overlay.
Any exemptions for your property will be specified in these incorporated documents in the Darebin Planning Scheme:
- City of Darebin Heritage Study Incorporated Plan - Permit Exemptions, 2011
- Preston Residential Heritage Precincts Permit Exemptions, February 2008
Darebin Heritage Study 2007
The Darebin Heritage Study identified and protected cultural and natural heritage sites in Darebin, including sites of Aboriginal heritage. It was the basis for permanent planning controls in the Darebin Planning Scheme.
The study included the following reports and studies:
- Thematic Environmental History (August 2008) - outlined historical themes and activities that shaped development in Darebin. It gave context and identified heritage places that illustrated Darebin's natural and cultural history.
- Key findings and Recommendations (December 2008) - provided a heritage plan and advice for managing heritage-significant areas in the future.
- Review of 2000 Ward Study and Additional Stage 2 Place Assessments (May 2010) - assessed additional places and reviewed 50 places added to the heritage overlay.
- Historic Heritage Places 2011 - cited the history of heritage places and described its surviving fabric. These citations helped guide future use, development or management of the place.
- Preston Central Heritage Assessment - two volumes assessed the significance of heritage precincts and places in the Preston Central Structure Plan area:
Darebin Heritage Review 2000
This review contains heritage citation reports and significance statements for most Darebin sites affected by the heritage overlay:
We also produced the below design guidelines: