Footpath trading permit
To place items outside your shop or business, you need to apply for a footpath trading permit. This is to make sure footpaths are kept clear for pedestrians and don't obstruct traffic or access to properties.
Do I need a footpath trading permit?
You will need a permit if you want to display goods or trade on the footpaths in Darebin.
If you answer yes to the following question, it is likely that you will need to apply for a Footpath trading permit:
- Are you planning on placing chairs and tables, an A-frame sign or display of goods (e.g. fruit stand) on the footpath?
To make the application process is as simple as possible, please ensure you have:
- An overhead site plan of the footpath with measurements of the footpath including the kerbside zone, trading zone and pedestrian zone
- Colour photographs and detailed design drawings with measurements of all items being placed on the footpath.
- A copy of your current public liability insurance with a minimum of $10 million dollars including the City of Darebin as an interested party.
- Read the Footpath activities policy and Footpath trading booklet for further details.
How we assess your application
We will assess your application to make sure there are no impacts on:
- vehicle and pedestrian traffic flow and safety
- streetscape, appearance and urban design of the area
- public health and safety
- any proposed traffic improvements
We will also check that it adheres to the current building and planning schemes.
Rules for using the footpath
Our guidelines document provides more information about footpath trading rules and restrictions. These include:
- minimum kerb clearances
- correct ways to arrange and display your items
- standards for portable and real estate signs
- rules for temporary outdoor dinning
When you are granted a permit, you must make sure to follow the permit conditions.
How to apply
Contact our Business Concierge to apply for all your business permits
Phone: 03 8470 8888