Swimming pools and spas

Are you considering installing a pool or spa at your property? Find out what you need to do, from inspections to registrations and compliance.

Pay for swimming pool or spa invoices

Close up of a pool and steps

If you are considering building a new pools or spa, you will need the following:

  1. A building permit before construction starts
  2. Once completed, the pool or spa must be registered with the City of Darebin
  3. Once completed, the pool or spa must meet current safety and compliance standards

If you have an existing swimming pool, the Victorian Government has extended the timeframe to lodge your certificate of compliance with Council.

The due date for lodging your certificate of compliance has been extended as follows:

Pool or spa construction date

Date compliance certificate must be lodged

On or before 30 June 1994 1 June 2022
From 1 July 1994 until 30 April 2010 1 June 2023
From 1 May 2010 until 31 October 2020 1 June 2024


person filling out forms
On 1 December 2019, new laws came into effect in Victoria making it mandatory to register swimming pools and spas.
Safety inspector filling out forms
After you register your pool or spa with us, you then need to arrange an inspection prior to the Certificate of Compliance due date.
Swimming pool toy

Find out how to lodge and pay for your certificate of compliance after your pool or spa has passed inspection.

Image of a temporary pool

Understand your responsibilities as a pool or spa owner, and what happens if you don't comply.

Pool fence with pool chair

You're responsible for registration and inspections of your pool, spa or safety barrier. There are fines for non-compliance.

public aquatic facility

A public aquatic facility is a pool or spa that the public can use, such as those in hotels and apartment complexes, for instance.