What is volunteering?
Volunteering is all about you being able to contribute some of your own time to help people in our communities.
Volunteering comes in various forms, from formal to informal volunteer engagement, to community-giving, which is often fluid and responsive to community needs, through to virtual activities which are performed online.
The benefits of volunteering for individuals, communities and organisations are manifold. Some of those benefits include:
- increasing community connection and social cohesion and reducing social isolation
- learning new skills and gaining confidence
- providing individuals with a sense of purpose
- creating a pathway to employment by supporting job readiness and fostering professional networking opportunities
Choosing a volunteer role that's right for you
With so many volunteering opportunities available, it can be helpful to consider the following points when thinking about volunteering.
- Look for volunteer roles that match your interests and/or skills
- Your capacity - how much time can you offer and how often?
- Does the purpose of the organisation/ group align with your values?