Darebin Nature Trust
The purpose of this Committee is to provide a sounding board (where appropriate) to Council in relation to:
- Matters affecting biodiversity and the natural environment in Darebin’s open space.
- Identifying opportunities to improve biodiversity, open space and urban livability for Darebin.
- increasing the profile of Darebin’s green spaces and local biodiversity to the broader community
- Raising awareness, educating and building community custodianship of our natural spaces so that Darebin’s biodiversity is valued.
- Advocacy and action to secure, protect and enhance green space for current and future generations.
The Committee shall have regard to and act in accordance with Council’s strategic objectives and priorities. Specifically, the Committee will have regard to the following strategies, plans, frameworks, policies and plans.
- Community Vision
- Council Plan
- Towards Equality Framework
- Statement of Commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Breathing Space: the Darebin Open Space Strategy
Terms of reference
Composition and membership
This Committee comprises of Councillor(s) appointed by Council annually and a Council Officer nominated by the Chief Executive Officer (both non-voting) and any other persons, and representatives of organisations as determined by resolution of Council and as specified in Appendix A of Terms of Reference.
Specified members of Committees (excluding Councillors) shall be appointed to this Committee. The membership of the Trust will comprise up to nine community members and three Councillor representatives.
All appointments will be for an initial period of 2 years with the option for a further maximum period through to the 30 June in the year following each General Election upon re- application.
A Councillor shall be the Chairperson of this Committee with a Community member as Co-Chair.
- Cr. Tom Hannan (chair)
- Cr. Susanne Newton
- Cr. Trent McCarthy
Darebin City Council is currently seeking expressions of interest from members of our diverse community to join the Darebin Nature Trust Advisory Committee.
Meetings of this committee will be held quarterly unless determined by the Committee Chair and Council Officer in order to allow for the timely consideration and provision of advice to Council on particular, time-sensitive matters from time to time.
Committees may, with the approval of the relevant General Manager, meet more frequently on a limited and specific basis (if required).
The meetings will be closed to the public.
Urban Ecology and Biodiversity Officer