Property valuation

Property valuation is carried out by State Government in accordance with state legislation. Councils are responsible for issuing rate notices.

How your valuation is calculated

Property values are determined by qualified Valuers, who are appointed by the State Government. Valuers use information such as sales data, rentals, building plans and permits to help them determine an accurate valuation of your property. Some properties will also be externally inspected for data verification.

Each year, all rateable properties are revalued with a valuation date of 1 January in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act (1960). The value of each property is used as part of calculating what each property owner will pay in rates.

Supplementary valuations

If changes are made to a property that could alter its value, a supplementary valuation is conducted during the year. Your rates are then adjusted pro-rata for the year, based upon the completion date of the changes.

Relevant changes could include alterations, additions, demolitions, subdivision, changes in the use of a property or zoning amendments. 

On your Rate Notice

Your property's rates are based on your Capital Improved Value (CIV).

Your Rate Notice has three valuation figures in total:

  1. Capital Improved Value (CIV) - total market value of the land plus buildings and any other improvements of your property.
  2. Site Valuation (SV) - market value of the land only.
  3. Net Annual Value (NAV) - current value of a property's net annual rent:
    - For residential properties, this is 5% of the CIV.
    - For non-residential properties, this is either the annual rental value or 5% of the CIV (whichever value is greater).

Enquire about your valuation

Use our online valuation enquiry (about 1 min to complete).

Online valuation enquiry 

Objecting to a valuation

As a ratepayer, you have the right under Section 16 of the Valuation of Land Act (1960) to object to the valuation of property.

The reasons you can object to a valuation are given under Section 17 of the Act.

How to lodge an objection

  1. A formal objection must be in writing, stating reasons and evidence to support your claim.
  2. You must advise Council of the objection within two months of the issue date on your Rate Notice.
  3. You lodge your objection using our online valuation enquiry.

Online valuation enquiry

You can also:

What happens next

Your objection and valuation will be reviewed. A qualified Valuer will either write to you with the review outcome or will call to discuss it further.

Lodging an objection appeal with VCAT

Land tax objection and council rating valuations

  • The State Revenue Office (SRO) uses the Council-assessed Site Value (SV) of your land to calculate land tax.
  • Any objections to the Site Value must be made to the State Revenue Office within two months of receiving the Land Tax Assessment.
  • Visit the SRO Land Tax page to learn more.

Rental surveys in Darebin

Valuer-General Victoria (VGV), the Victorian Government's authority on statutory valuations, is undertaking a revaluation of all properties within Darebin Council. These valuations will be used by Council for rating purposes for the 2022/23 financial year.

As part of the valuation process, property rental information is being collected by VGV's appointed valuers, Westink Consulting, with authority covered by the Valuation of Land Act (1960).

The information is being collected through a short online rental survey from property owners, agents and tenants. This information will remain confidential and will be used only to ensure that valuations are accurate and that current market conditions are properly considered.

The cooperation of Darebin Council ratepayers in these surveys is greatly appreciated. Should you have any queries in relation to the survey, please contact

For more information, view the Westlink Consulting Survey FAQ.