Do you want to build an extension or do some demolition?

The type of residential building permit you need will depend on what you want to do.


If you plan to construct, or change a structure on your property you will generally need a building permit.

Are you looking to build a structure like a garage, carport, pergola, deck, balcony or retaining wall? Check your requirements here.
To ensure building works don't affect or damage adjoining properties, you may need to get your neighbours' details for protection works.

Private building surveyors are required to lodge certain documents with council once they are appointed to a project.

Pedestrians use other footpath sign
You need our approval to erect precautions, also known as hoardings, over the street alignment. Find out how this applies to you.
Raindrops are falling on the road

Some areas of Darebin are designated as flood-prone — you may need a Report and Consent application before your building permit can continue.

A siting variation, or report and consent, is for a proposed building design that sits outside of the building regulations.

Do you need access to plans of your building or property? You can apply online for a range of building plans and documents.