Darebin Disability Advisory Committee
The purpose of this Committee is to provide advice and recommendations (where appropriate) to us about:
- Issues relating to access and inclusion for people with disability and carers living, working, studying and visiting Darebin.
- Promoting and advocating for improved access equity within Council and the wider community, irrespective of type of disability, age, sexuality and gender identity, culture, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, and linguistic background.
The Committee regards and acts in accordance with Council’s strategic objectives and priorities. Specifically, the Committee considers the following strategies, plans, frameworks, policies and plans:
- Community Vision
- Council Plan 2021–2025
- Darebin Access and Inclusion Plan 2021–2026
- Towards Equality Framework Darebin City Council’s Equity, Inclusion and Human Rights Framework 2019-2029
- Statement of Commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Towards an Age Friendly Darebin
National Relay Service
- TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 03 8470 8888
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 03 8470 8888
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 03 8470 8888
Terms of reference
Council at its meeting held on 25 October 2021 adopted the Terms of Reference of this Committee.
Meetings of this committee are held quarterly, unless determined otherwise by the Committee Chair and Council Officer. Additional meetings may happen from time to time, to allow for a timely consideration and provision of advice to Council on particular, time-sensitive matters.
Committees may, with the approval of the relevant General Manager, meet more frequently on a limited and specific basis (if required).
The meetings of this Committee are closed to the public.
Minutes and agendas
|Monday 7 March
|Monday 6 June
|Monday 5 September|
|Monday 5 December
|Monday 1 March
|Monday 7 June
|Monday 6 September||Agenda||Minutes|
|Monday 6 December||Agenda||Minutes|
Composition and membership
This Committee comprises of Councillor(s) appointed by Council annually and a Council Officer nominated by the Chief Executive Officer (both non-voting) and any other persons, and representatives of organisations as determined by resolution of Council and as specified in Appendix A of terms of Reference.
Specified members of Committees (excluding Councillors) are appointed to this Committee. This committee consists of:
- people with lived experience of disability
- carers of people with disability and
- service providers.
All appointments are for an initial period of two years with the option for a further maximum period through to the 30 June in the year following each General Election upon re-application.
A Councillor is the Chairperson of the Committee.
Presently, Committee comprises of the following Councillors/members:
Cr. Julie Williams (Chair)
Cr. Tim Laurence (Proxy)
This Committee comprises of the following members:
Karen Bloomberg, Elizabeth Ellis, Caseii Green, Emma Grey, Virginia Mahoney, Zione Alepha Phiri, Pauline Risoli, Brooke Underwood, Jo Banks, Helen Caligiuri, George Jiang, Ray Jordan, Kathy Kondekas, Edward Manuel, Judith McLean
Community Development Officer Access and Inclusion
Phone: 03 8470 8327