If you want to build a fence on your property, you may need a building permit. If you've seen a dangerous fence, you can report it to us.

I want to build a front fence

Front fences are considered to be any fence within three metres of a street alignment (like the footpath), including the front section of a dividing boundary fence between you and your neighbour.

If you want to build or replace a front fence on your property, its regulation height will depend on the material you use. You'll need a building permit to build these type of fences:

  • Timber or metal front fence higher than 1.5 metres (eg. timber pickets, colorbond sheets)
  • Masonry front fence higher than 1.2 metres (eg. brick, rendered concrete, engineered stone)

Front fences on declared roads (RDZ1)

If you live on a declared road then you can have a front fence up to two metres high (with a building permit).

To check if your street is a declared road, you can visit the VicRoads map here.

If you have an easement on your property and intend to build the front fence over it, you must obtain a consent to build over easement.

I live on a corner property

Corner properties have specific requirements for front fences, meaning they can be up to one metre high within nine metres of the point of intersection (the corner boundary edge of your property).

After the nine metres, the front fence can be up to 1.5 metres high.

Front fences higher than the standard height

If you want a higher than standard front fence, you'll need to apply for Council consent. Essentially you're asking us to approve a design that is not compliant with the Building Regulations 2018.

You'll need to complete an application so that we can make an assessment. It's not guaranteed you'll get approval and it depends largely on how the proposed fence will address:

  • the Minister's Guidelines
  • neighbourhood character and street amenity
  • pedestrian and road safety
  • planning permit (if required)

Dividing boundary fences

These are fences between adjoining properties, and can be up to two metres high without a building permit, no matter what the material the fence is built from.

If the boundary fence forms part of a spa or swimming pool enclosure, you need a building permit regardless of height or material.

Boundary fences are often shared, common property, so you will need to discuss any arrangements directly with your neighbour.

Fencing disputes

Dividing or common boundary fences are generally governed under the Fencing Act 1968. We have no jurisdiction on any common fence issues that don't require a building permit. If you have a dispute with your neighbour, please contact the:

Dangerous fences

Front or side fences facing streets, roads or public spaces must be structurally sound. We'll inspect fences in the following situations:

  • when there is a risk of harm to the public or occupants
  • dangerous, dilapidated or illegal fences that form part of a swimming pool or spa enclosure. We consider these to be an immediate danger that must be reported.
  • brick/masonry fences on a street boundary higher than 1.2 metres built without a building permit.

More information

Building Department
Phone: 03 8470 8899
Email: building@darebin.vic.gov.au